Volunteering provides you with:
- That feel good factor of doing something worthwhile and helpful for others: making a difference.
- Personal growth in confidence, self-esteem and vital life-skills.
- Building career-useful skills and competencies.
- Ingredients to create an irresistible CV for colleges, universities and careers.
- The chance to meet a variety of new people and future friends!
Students in Year 10 and 12 undertake 5 days of work experience during a set work experience week towards the end of the academic year.
Why work experience?
Work experience aims to provide all young people with an opportunity to:
- prepare for the workplace by providing a clear understanding of the world of work
- acquire the self-development and career management skills they need to achieve positive employment destinations
- choose their pathways and improve their life opportunities
Work experience at Teesdale
Students will be required to organise their own work experience. Once students have chosen which employer they will be working with, they need to complete a work experience form and hand it back to Miss Ward.
Once work experience forms are handed in, Penshaw View will conduct work placement vetting and appropriate insurance checks in line with current guidelines to ensure learning takes place in a healthy, safe and supportive environment.
If students are unable to find employers for work experience, they can discuss it with Miss Ward, who can connect them with relevant employers.
If students would like advice and guidance around work experience, or help completing the work experience form, please ask Miss Ward for help. Year 12 can also speak to Mr Henderson for additional support.
Students will participate in work experience preparation sessions (covering, for example, topics such as health and safety, behaviour/employer expectations) prior to their placement. Additionally, students will complete a placement journal which they will hand in to their form tutors when they come back to school after their work experience has completed.
Virtual work experience
Virtual work experience is a broad term and can include any opportunity carried out remotely, which provides young people with an insight into what it’s like to work in an industry or job role. Most virtual work experiences range from half a day to one week, but some may last longer depending on the nature of the work experience.
Virtual work experience opportunities will be sent out to students so they can take part outside of school time.
Virtual work experience can be found at: